Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Obsessive Love

Well, I have many books out of the library and the theme of the week seems to be obsessive love (which seems to be the same thing as "love at first sight"). I am at the same time both enlightened and confused... enlightened about events in my own life and behaviours I have acquired and confused about, well, what to do about it. And what application does it all have to the development of the piece?

I have been obsessed once in my life, and it was an extraordinary experience. Very very painful. This is the thought that is following me today: very often, the higher and more intense the passion, the more pain and confusion, the more 'wrong-ness' of the love affair. But at the same time I am not quite ready to allow that falling passionately in love is a terrible idea, bad for your health and ultimately destructive of everything good in your life.

I have also been on the receiving end of an obsession. This was not so painful for me, but certainly uncomfortable.

Is it really true that most occurrences of "falling in love" are unreciprocated? Is it everybody's experience that life is full of triangles, love missing its target? How often do two people fall in love with one another? I think this has happened to me once in my life, despite many loving relationships and many, many experiences of falling in love. And is my conception that I can expect at some point in my life to be fallen in love with by the person I am in love with and have an amazing soul connection and long-lasting relationship just a cultural construct, a myth that most people in western society have been brought up with and choose to believe?

1 Comments:

Blogger Laverne Laverne said...

Julieanne via email:
I LOVED your writing of love
I think about this often. Not the obsession, as I
don't know it, but the hit and miss aspect. I truly
believe that true love hardly ever if at all exists in
reality, that love in entirety only exists in moments
that good relationships exist for many other reasons.
Tom and I often discuss how his mother always said
that his father could've been many men, it was just
that they were both together at a point when they were
tired of looking elsewhere, and things to do that were
better done in a partnership. Because Tom and I often
feel this way, that we could take or leave each other
and not feel too ripped apart, that we would never be
heroines in fairydays pining the hairlocks of the
other
and it is for this that I love him! and have such
waves of intense feeling for him now and then!
Incredible isn't it? That the reason why we love each
other is not only how we are together but how we exist
independantly. well, it's a good topic for me at the
moment because I see how our relationship is better
and better since we are spending some days of the week
apart.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home